* The Pens have now won 9 true games during PPG Paints Arena. It’s their longest strain here during home given they ran off a franchise-record 13-game home winning strain underneath Dan Bylsma from Nov. 15, 2013 to Jan. 15, 2014. They have a possibility to extend that this week with dual some-more games in Pittsburgh on Thursday and Saturday.
* The Pens were means to open a ice up, that is formidable opposite a group like Ottawa. They transitioned fast and used their speed to annul a Sens’ trap, while also carrying some good opportunities to widen a ice with home-run passes. But while they were formulating a ton of chances, they were also sacrificing invulnerability for offense in a initial dual periods. The Sens had their share of chances as good and outshot a Pens by a large domain for many of a game. Fortunately, Matt Murray was there to bail his teammates out with some large saves and a Pens responded in a final frame.
“I don’t consider we played with adequate structure in a initial dual periods,” Sullivan said. “That’s what we talked about after a second period, was that if we’re going to get to where we need to go, we’ve got to make certain we get improved in these areas and we’ve got to turn a some-more formidable group to play against. we positively suspicion a group responded in a third period, we were many better.”
* An critical method in a diversion came in a second duration after Jake Guentzel scored to give Pittsburgh a 2-1 lead. Murray positively attacked Cody Ceci on a point-blank possibility from a tip of a crease. The Pens went right behind a other approach and scored twice in a 1:11 camber to follow Mike Condon from a Sens net. If Murray doesn’t make that save, it could have been a opposite game. Instead, a Pens pennyless a diversion open.
* In Pittsburgh’s 4-1 win over St. Louis on Sunday, Guentzel was forsaken down to a fourth line and didn’t see a lot of ice time in a game. This morning, he and Mike Sullivan talked during length about how a brazen could get behind on track. “I consider a one thing we’ve oral to Jake a lot about recently is only being unbending on a puck in puck battles,” Sullivan said. “He’s one of those guys that has a ability to strengthen a puck down low, emanate subdivision and afterwards make plays.”
That’s what Guentzel did all night, generally after being changed onto a line with Phil Kessel and Riley Sheahan. He was rewarded with copiousness of scoring chances and a span of goals. He deflected a indicate shot on a energy play for his first; afterwards dug a puck out on a forecheck and went to a front of a net for his second. “I’m anxious for him given we know he’s operative hard, he’s trying,” Sullivan pronounced after a game. “For him to measure dual tonight we consider should give him a large boost of confidence. He’s an critical actor for us.”
* Rookie Zach Aston-Reese scored his initial NHL idea and followed it adult after in a diversion with his second. Moved onto a line with Sidney Crosby, a captain gave him a pass as he entered Ottawa’s section and he slipped a shot by Condon’s glove in a second period. Later, Crosby fed him for an open net in a final notation of play. Aston-Reese has been removing improved and improved given creation his entrance on Feb. 3 in New Jersey, as he tallied his initial NHL point, an assist, on Sunday in St. Louis. The coaches are rewarding him with a bigger role, and he’s creation a many of it.
* Justin Schultz has been feeling it lately. He set a tinge in a opening mins on a energy play, where he done dual superb keeps during a blue line before circuitous adult and blustering a slapshot that Guentzel got his hang on. He after combined an support on Evgeni Malkin‘s second-period goal. It was apparent that Schultz wanted a puck as he kept job for it all night, that is a good pointer of certainty from a blueliner.