The finish of a World Series signals a start of a subsequent ball season. Here’s what we should know about a Padres as prohibited stove deteriorate nears:
A MATTER OF RECORD
- 2017 finish: 71-91, fourth in NL West
- At home: 43-38
- On a road: 28-53
- 2018 breeze position: 7th
- The shortstop search: Since arriving, General Manager A.J. Preller has extrinsic Clint Barmes, Alexei Ramirez and Erick Aybar as stop-gaps. The classification appears to have reeled in a loyal shortstop of a destiny in 18-year-old Fernando Tatis Jr., though he’s during slightest half a deteriorate away, withdrawal Preller to hunt for another stop-gap option. He could get artistic with a trade if he’s just in a bottom of a giveaway representative category (Alcides Escobar, J.J. Hardy, Aybar and not most else).
- Filling out a rotation: The Padres dealt $1.75 million contracts to a contingent of pitchers and a $3 million understanding to RHP Jered Weaver final year and dual of those pitchers – RHP Jhoulys Chacin and LHP Clayton Richard – lasted a whole year in San Diego. With Richard extended by 2019 and revolution talent knocking on a doorway in a high minors, Preller will again be on a surveillance for short-term discount signings this winter, that could embody a lapse of Chacin.
- Offseason dealing: It wouldn’t be an offseason but during slightest one trade from Preller, who changed or acquired a likes of Matt Kemp, Craig Kimbrel and Derek Norris before any of a prior 3 seasons. This winter, LHP Brad Hand total to be a name that’s shopped after a Padres hold onto him during a trade deadline. INF Yangervis Solarte and his affordable agreement could also be discussed as a Padres are deepest during third and second base.
- RHP Jhoulys Chacin: In San Diego on a $1.75 million deal, a 29-year-old starter incited a sub-4.00-ERA deteriorate and his 1.27 WHIP was a second-best symbol of his career.
- RHP Craig Stammen: The 33-year-old reliever warranted $900,000 in his lapse to a majors, creation a 3.14 ERA with 74 strikeouts over 80 1/3 innings, his busiest deteriorate given 2013 (81 1/3 innings).
- SS Erick Aybar: The 33-year-old Dominican warranted $1.75 million in his initial deteriorate in San Diego, mashing some-more homers (7) than he’d had given his sole All-Star debate in 2014.
- RHP Jordan Lyles: The 27-year-old had a 6.94 ERA out of a Rockies’ bullpen when he was expelled and was even some-more disproportionate in a Padres’ revolution in Sep (9.39 ERA). This is his initial incursion into giveaway agency.
- RHP Jarred Cosart: The 27-year-old privileged undisguised waivers and inaugurated giveaway group Monday. He done 7 appearances before undergoing season-ending arthroscopic medicine on his bend in July.
- LHP Christian Friedrich: The Padres’ personality in starts in 2016, a 30-year-old Friedrich missed all of 2017 with several injuries, including an bend procession in August. He, too, privileged undisguised waivers Monday and inaugurated giveaway agency.
Wil Myers ($7.5 million, including signing bonus) is a top paid actor on a roster, while a $11 million due to a White Sox for a rest of James Shields’ agreement accounts for a Padres’ top bill. The Padres are also on a offshoot for Hector Olivera ($6.5 million) and Jedd Gyorko ($2.5 million), as good as INF Yangervis Solarte ($4 million) and for LHP Clayton Richard ($3 million). The Padres will compensate joining smallest ($545,000) toward LHP Travis Wood’s $6.5 million salary.