FC Dallas never pronounced die in their 2016 U.S. Open Cup semifinal opposite LA Galaxy on Wednesday, and dual late goals in additional time led to a overwhelming 2-1 win during StubHub Center that will send a victors to a Open Cup final at Toyota Stadium.
Matt Hedges scored off a dilemma flog low in a 30-minute additional time duration to tie adult a diversion for Dallas, before Victor Ulloa scored on another dilemma flog late in blocking time of a additional time duration to take a win.
The initial good chance of a diversion came in a 17th minute, when Alan Gordon’s low shot was blocked nearby a idea line by a shifting Atiba Harris to keep a diversion scoreless. A few mins later, Magee’s one-on-one shot was blocked by Dallas goalkeeper Chris Seitz.
The play was parsimonious for a initial 20 mins of a second half, before both sides played their approach into a diversion and a record non-stop up, though conjunction group could gain in 90 minutes.
The diversion afterwards went to 30 mins of additional time, and in a 100th minute, Galaxy surrogate Giovani Dos Santos drew a chastisement on Seitz, and Magee stepped adult and converted a mark kick.
But only as it looked like LA would squeeze a feat and a diversion would not need a shootout, Mauro Diaz’s dilemma flog was headed in by Hedges to tie adult a diversion during 1-1, and Ulloa finished a comeback, off another Diaz corner, mins later.
- 101′ — LA — Mike Magee (PK)
- 116′ — DAL — Matt Hedges (Mauro Diaz)
- 121′ — DAL — Victor Ulloa (Mauro Diaz)
- Full Box Score
- Watch Highlights
1. FRANTIC FINISH: Based on a prior 100 minutes, when LA took a lead by a penalty, it seemed they had a diversion all though wrapped up. But Diaz’s set square smoothness and a dirty finish by FC Dallas to hang with a diversion until a sour finish paid off, and while a initial 99 mins might not be must-see TV, a final 6 mins of a diversion positively were, given a approach a diversion ended.
3. SELECTION STRATEGY: This year’s run was a deepest LA have done in a Open Cup in a Bruce Arena era, and streamer into a game, it seemed Dallas were personification a stronger lineup than a Galaxy. But to simply interpretation Arena did not prioritize a USOC seems uncharitable. Throughout LA’s run, Arena has played a brew of starters and reserves, and some players, including Raul Mendiola, earned some-more personification time as a run continued. At a same time, Arena opted to put pivotal enemy in a finish of a quarterfinal diversion opposite Seattle and in this diversion opposite Dallas, and it was a defensive bid that finished adult costing a group a shot during a title.
2. ONE GAME AWAY: FC Dallas final won a Open Cup in 1997, and are fervent to explain another trophy. Their opponents in a final will be a New England Revolution, who will be inspired for silverware, too, though even with a slight margins of their feat opposite LA, Dallas would seem to be a favorites during home in a Open Cup final during this point.
- LA: Saturday, Aug. 13 vs. Colorado (10:30 pm ET; MLS LIVE)
- DAL: Saturday, Aug. 13 vs. Sporting KC (9 pm ET; MLS LIVE)