Here’s a guess: UMKC and Eastern Illinois would have a tough time violence a 2017-18 Missouri basketball team.
New manager Cuonzo Martin continued this present reconstitute of a flagging MU module by finally securing 6-foot-10 East St. Louis core Jeremiah Tilmon, who was headed to Illinois before Illini manager John Groce got canned.
Tilmon carried a four-star rating into final deteriorate and a Top 50 ranking from Rivals.com. His signing gives Martin a Top 10 recruiting category and improves his chances of reversing final year’s 8-24 showing.
The Illini attempted to keep him aboard underneath new manager Brad Underwood, to no relief — notwithstanding a best efforts of partner manager Jamall Walker, who built a clever years-long rapport for him.
DePaul done a late pull for Tilmon. Kansas appealed to him, too, nonetheless Jayhawks manager Bill Self had a lot else function on a recruiting front.
Through all of this Missouri emerged as a favorite to land Tilmon, interjection to Martin’s status on a East Side, and it finally happened.
Here is what it means:
- Mizzou has a genuine large male for subsequent season, a edge guardian that should fit snugly with tip partisan Michael Porter Jr. and obligatory forwards Kevin Puryear and Jordan Barnett. Tilmon’s descent post diversion is still raw, though he will be surrounded by able scorers.
- Before Tilmon signed, sophomores-to-be Reed Nikko and Mitchell Smith were a obligatory large group with Russell Woods out of eligibility. Nikko missed credentials time for final deteriorate while recuperating from double hip medicine and Smith suffered a vicious knee damage final season, so both sojourn projects.
- Tilmon fits easily into a category that includes freshmen guards C.J. Roberts and Blake Harris and connoisseur send ensure Kassius Robertson, an determined three-point shooter. While Porter Jr. seems approaching to conduct to a NBA as a lottery collect after subsequent deteriorate and Robertson will empty his eligibility, Tilmon, Roberts and Harris ware possibilities to assistance a Tigers over subsequent season.
- Fast-rising awaiting Jontay Porter could still announce himself as a 2017 partisan and pointer with a Tigers, nonetheless Tilmon’s signing creates that reduction essential for MU’s hopes of reaching a NCAA Tournament in Martin’s initial deteriorate as coach.
- Should Jontay sojourn in a ’18 category and pointer with Missouri, he could reinstate his hermit Michael as a go-to guy. But if Jontay signs for subsequent season, he could give Mizzou’s front justice a Kentucky-like look.
- Tilmon’s signing is timely with Martin and Co. operative tough on a 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes. E.J. Liddell, a ’19 aim from Belleville West High School, is a latest tip awaiting to uncover seductiveness in Missouri. He is approaching in Columbia for an unaccepted visit. Momentum is vicious in recruiting and right now Martin has lots of it.
All in all this was a happy day for submissive Missouri fans. If Tilmon has a good knowledge underneath Martin during Mizzou, suppose a good that will do for a module as it tries to land some-more players from a larger St. Louis region.