Skip to content
Kyle Kuzma found a Nick Van Exel jersey during a selected shop.
“I saw it and we was like, I’ve got to get it,” he said. “So came in with it. Hear people like it.”
He wore it on his approach into Wednesday night’s game, afterwards he helped his group do something no Lakers group had finished given Van Exel’s final deteriorate in L.A. He helped a Lakers brush a deteriorate array with a San Antonio Spurs.
Kuzma’s conform choice wasn’t tighten to a many notable thing about him Wednesday night. The Lakers found a approach to pull by a second night of a back-to-back. They’ll get some many indispensable rest on Thursday.
Here are 5 takeaways from a Lakers’ 122-112 overtime win over a Spurs.
1. If we are enjoying a start of Kuzma’s career and experiencing his expansion on a nightly basis, we are not alone. “It’s fun examination him contest during that level, when he gets in that area and that zone,” Lakers manager Luke Walton said. “I consider he’s doing a unequivocally good pursuit of not perplexing to do that all a time, bargain time and score, know when he has it going, when a group needs him to measure a large bucket. He apparently has a prolonged approach to go with that, though for him to already kind of start to feel that out, it’s sparkling for a destiny and for his expansion as a player.”
The Lakers like to give their players what they can handle, and right now they are, to some degree, holding their exhale with Kuzma’s minutes. He’s averaging 39 mins a diversion given Mar 3, some-more than any other rookie during that time.
Fatigue leads to injury, and Kuzma is personification by an ankle injury. He had his right feet shower in a bucket of ice postgame on Wednesday. So distant he hasn’t suffered a worse injury. He adore a mins and thrives with them. Walton isn’t going to take those divided as prolonged as he sees bid on offense and invulnerability and good preference making.
2. With so many injuries and several pot personification with a South Bay Lakers, a Los Angeles Lakers’ rotations have shrunk to 8 or 9 players. That’s because Kuzma’s mins have been so high, and he’s not alone. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope played 40 mins in Utah on Tuesday and afterwards 37 opposite a Spurs, and he could feel a impact of those mins during a game.
3. Lakers crowds uncover adult even when a group is terrible and yield a improved atmosphere nightly than many teams around a joining have. The Lakers were counting on that Wednesday night. Walton pronounced he knew a appetite from a throng would assistance vitalise their sleepy bodies. Caldwell-Pope advanced that. “We fed off a throng mostly,” he said. “I was articulate to a integrate guys on a bench. We all were tired. But [we were] usually feeding off a support from a fans and usually digging within and usually personification hard.”
4. Channing Frye gave a Lakers a good boost. Frye’s mins have increasing newly given his liberation from a Feb appendectomy. He played a season-high 26 mins on Wednesday and scored 19 points on eight-of-nine shooting. His usually skip was a asperse try that caused Walton to remark that Frye wasn’t authorised to asperse anymore.
5. Tyler Ennis has scored in double digits in back-to-back games now. His late measure gave a Lakers a two-point lead in a fourth entertain on Wednesday. Although Ennis didn’t start, a indicate ensure played 31 mins and helped finish a win.
Follow Tania Ganguli on Twitter @taniaganguli