PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – Dustin Johnson isn’t giving adult his World No. 1 ranking though a fight.
Johnson has hold a pretension given Feb. 19, 2017, though Justin Thomas, Jon Rahm, Jordan Spieth and Justin Rose any had a possibility to unseat DJ during this week’s Players Championship.
It’s still really most adult for grabs entering Round 4, and a scenarios are somewhat complex. Maybe Johnson would like to know what those scenarios are before Sunday?
“Don’t care,” Johnson pronounced while signing during a kids-only designation area during TPC Sawgrass. “I only need to play good golf.”
The male has a point.
Johnson shot 3-under 69 Saturday in Round 3 to pierce to solo third during 10 underneath for a week and urge his chances of staying on top.
“It really means a lot,” Johnson said. “I wish to stay there. we feel like I’ve worked tough to keep a No. 1 position, though I’m going to have to go out tomorrow and play good if we wish to stay there.”
Thomas shot 4 underneath 67 Saturday and is T-33 during 5 underneath for a week. He still has a best possibility of a contenders to take Johnson’s spot, though winning is out of a doubt deliberation he’s 14 shots behind of personality Webb Simpson. Spieth is now 8 underneath and T-9 for a week after a 7-under 65 in Round 3, though he’s a genuine prolonged shot during this point.
Realistically, this is entrance down to Johnson and Thomas, with Johnson wanting to finish 11th or better.
Here are a scenarios in that Johnson can keep his No. 1 ranking formed on where he finishes Sunday in a final round.
- Johnson wins
- Johnson finishes second and Thomas does not win
- Johnson finishes third and forward of Thomas
- Johnson finishes fourth and Thomas finishes outward a tip six
- Johnson finishes fifth and Thomas finishes outward a tip 10
- Johnson finishes sixth and and Thomas finishes outward a tip 16
- Johnson finishes seventh and Thomas finishes outward a tip 20
- Johnson finishes eighth and Thomas finishes outward a tip 31
- Johnson finishes ninth and Thomas finishes outward a tip 42
- Johnson finishes 10th and Thomas finishes outward a tip 53
- Johnson finishes 11th and Thomas finishes outward a tip 60.